Thursday, January 26, 2012

Which military branch has the best firefighting program if I would want to pursue it after I got out?

I'm an aspiring firefighter and I understand how competitive a job it is and I've discovered that the military would probably be the best way to get a job as one. Which branch would be the best to go into if I wanted to get on as a firefighter in a big city such as houston,tx?Which military branch has the best firefighting program if I would want to pursue it after I got out?apparently it's the navy. I know the Army has about a 340% fill rate because everyone wants that job. Well, not everyone... but you know. If you are interested in being a firefighter but the Navy is also a long wait you can try the U.S. Forest Service. It is gruesome work but super exciting. It's government so the benefits are really good still. My husband was a wildland firefighter before he joined the Army and some of the pics he brought home were amazing. He loves his job in the Army but would recommend a few seasons of fighting wildland fires to anyone who can tolerate the heat!!!Which military branch has the best firefighting program if I would want to pursue it after I got out?
USN

Report Abuse

Which military branch has the best firefighting program if I would want to pursue it after I got out?The Navy trains all sorts of ratings for fire fighting. It is very important for crews to be able to fight fires on a ship, so many of the crew are firefighter as a second job.

The navy is really cool if you get a good job. Avoid the unmanly jobs, the other enlisted personnel love to rip on the guys who dont have the "good" jobs.
Go to the Air Force. Number one reason is the Community College of the Air Force. While you are in the AF, you will be earning college credit towards an AAS in Fire Science from CCAF. Complete the degree while in and you will have a leg up on others applying to a civilian fire department. Good luck and God bless.Which military branch has the best firefighting program if I would want to pursue it after I got out?Navy. Everyone is taught firefighting cause when you're at sea you can't call 91, you it.Which military branch has the best firefighting program if I would want to pursue it after I got out?
Navy. they have one rating that is damage control man. Lots of fire fighting and damage control to keepthe ship afloat. Air force next after all they have a lot of planes
If you want to get licensed on the most equipment likely to be found in the civilian world USAF.



The only real options are the USAF and Navy.Which military branch has the best firefighting program if I would want to pursue it after I got out?
The U.S. Navy would look impressive on a resume; doing firefighting on nuclear power aircraft carriers for multimillion dollar fighter aircrafts.
Navy.
Navy
Navy
Navy and then Air Force!
Knowing this will sound biased, I have to say the U.S. Navy.



I was Navy for 21 years and can tell you that EVERYONE who goes to sea aboard a ship, boat, raft, submarine, or any other article that is haze grey and underway is a trained and certified firefighter. Especially those who serve in the deck, engineering and aviation rates. If you're part of ship's company you're probably assigned to a repair locker located somewhere aboard the ship. if you're in an aviation rate, you've probably served a day or two in the crash and salvage team or the aircraft recovery team up on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. The bottom line is this; the Navy has the best trained, best equipped and best led firefighters on the planet for one simple reason; there is no greater danger to a ship and her crew (even during combat and while engaging the enemy) than fire. And once the ship is on fire, ...there is no retreat. There is no one who has the authority to say "...ok, it's out of control, just let it burn but contain it." If the fire is allowed to take over, the ship will founder and all hands will need to be very good swimmers.



If you're in the navy and you're reading this, you have to agree with me. there is no scarier sound on Earth than the sound of the ship's bell ringing in the middle of the night to sound the fire alram and the sound of the DCA in Damage Control Central screaming "FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! FIRE IN COMPARTMENT 6-187-0-E, NUMBER THREE MAIN MACHINERY ROOM!!! AWAY THE AT SEA FIRE BRIGADE AWAY! MUSTER THE RESCUE AND ASSISTANCE DETAIL IN HANGAR BAY ONE WITH THE EXECUTIVE OFFICER!!" This, for those of us who served on Marine Diesel Fuel (oil) burning Carriers like the USS Forrestal (CV-59) signified a main space fire, ...and meant the crew had only minutes to snuff a fire that could potentially destroy the ship in one loud explosion. Having served aboard the USS Forrestal (her history with fire already a legend before I ever got there), I was privileged to have been taught the firefighting techniques and equipment by the very best of the very best; brave men and women all who repeatedly placced themselves into harm's way to keep our beloved home (the ship) from foundering.



So if you want to learn how to fight fire from the best of the best, go to both Naval Shipboard Firefighting School which is now located I believe at NOB Norfolk, VA, and Naval Aircraft Firefighting School which used to be located at NAVBASE San Diego, CA. The schools my be in different places now, but the training and the discipline are still there I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment